Winter is here—and with it, the cold, dark days that make use crave wrapping up in warm blankets, sipping hot drinks and eating warm, rich comfort foods.
If you’re like us, you love to cook, but it can be hard to get excited about cooking when the sun sets at 4:00 pm and all you want to do is curl up by the fireplace.
But we’re here to tell you that even though the light outside is dimming, there’s still plenty of deliciousness inside your pantry! All it takes is a little creativity and an open mind.
Here are our top five winter spices that will help you make the most out of this season:
1) Nutmeg: Nutmeg has a sweet, warm flavour and goes well with potatoes and other root vegetables (like carrots). It also pairs well with cheddar cheese and cream sauces. Just remember: a little goes a long way!
2) Ginger: Ginger has a peppery bite that works well with pork or poultry. It’s also great in curries and stir-fries because it adds spice without overpowering other flavours. Try adding in some ground ginger when you’re making roast chicken or pork loin!
3) Cinnamon: Cinnamon is great for keeping your blood sugar levels steady and helping prevent colds and flus. You can use cinnamon in everything from apple pie to coffee or hot chocolate!
4) Basil: Basil is known for its antibacterial properties, which makes it a great addition to any dish that needs a little extra help staying fresh.
5) Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is great for making flavourful and hearty sauces for pasta dishes or soups.
6) Onion Powder: Onion powder is also great for making delicious sauces and soups, as well as adding some texture to baked breads and savoury pastries.
So, now that the cold is upon us, stock up your pantries with these tasty winter spices and start warming up from the inside out.
Not sure where to find these spices? Check out our store locator to find Belle Donne Spices near you.