Black beans and sweet potatoes are a combination made in heaven! Full of nutrients and very filling, this plant-based recipe is perfect for Meatless Mondays or serving to vegan family and friends.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Belle Donne sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 T. Belle Donne ground cumin
- 2 t. Belle Donne chili powder
- ½ t. Belle Donne dried oregano
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 2 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 c. frozen corn
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and add red onion and bell peppers. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro and fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!
What you will need
Oregano – Shaker
Exploring Global Flavours with Belle Donne Spices
Embarking on a culinary adventure has never been easier with Belle Donne Spices. As you...
Baking with Belle Donne: Enhancing Sweet Treats with Spices and Extracts
Spices and extracts are often associated with savoury dishes, but their delightful flavours can work...
Spring Recipe: Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad – A Burst of Freshness and Flavour
Spring is the perfect time to fire up the grill and indulge in delicious BBQ...