This versatile appetizer is sure to be a big hit at your next party! Or, bring it as a side to a friend’s Christmas gathering. Choose mushrooms with small or medium caps for best results. Using a mixture of baby Portobello and white mushrooms makes for an attractive presentation.
Sausage-Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- 8 oz. of baby Portobello mushrooms
- 8 oz. of white mushrooms
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c. Marsala (or dry white) wine, divided
- 12 oz. bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh sage leaves, julienned
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Belle Donne Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 T. Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 T. Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. parsley, chopped
- Position top oven rack in middle position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Remove stems from cleaned mushrooms by grabbing them as close to the cap as possible and gently twisting. Roughly chop stems and reserve in a separate bowl, while placing intact caps in a larger bowl.
- Add olive oil and 3 tablespoons wine to the bowl containing mushroom caps and toss gently to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until thoroughly browned. Break apart chunks with a spatula or wooden spoon as the sausage cooks. Once browned, drain excess fat before proceeding.
- Add mushroom stems and garlic to the pan and cook until mushrooms are soft and start to release liquid. Add sage and remaining wine and scrape up any bits of sausage from the bottom of the skillet. Simmer until excess liquid evaporates.
- Remove from heat and add softened cream cheese and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until thoroughly combined and cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and black, to taste. Cool slightly.
- Add one rounded spoonful of the sausage mixture to each marinated mushroom cap and arrange stuffing side up in a 13 x 9” glass baking dish. If desired, sprinkle each stuffed mushroom cap with breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, or both before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and filling is browned on top. For a crispier topping, place under the broiler for a couple minutes when done cooking. Enjoy!
What you will need
No data was found
Exploring Global Flavours with Belle Donne Spices
Embarking on a culinary adventure has never been easier with Belle Donne Spices. As you...
Baking with Belle Donne: Enhancing Sweet Treats with Spices and Extracts
Spices and extracts are often associated with savoury dishes, but their delightful flavours can work...
Spring Recipe: Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad – A Burst of Freshness and Flavour
Spring is the perfect time to fire up the grill and indulge in delicious BBQ...