This recipe combines the best of both worlds with its delicious combination of sweet and savory ingredients. It can be served as either a rich appetizer or a decadent dessert by playing up either the savory or sweet elements.
Savory Brie and Pear Puff Pastry
- 1/2 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 medium pear, ripe but firm, cut into thin slices
- 2 oz. Brie cheese, cut into thin slices with rind removed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- 2 t. Belle Donne ground cinnamon
- 1 t. Belle Donne nutmeg
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 T. water
- Thaw puff pastry in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Position top oven rack in the middle position and pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Open thawed puff pastry and carefully unfold, being careful not to crack it. Place puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Gently roll pastry with a floured rolling pin into a large rectangle. Cut in half with a sharp knife and carefully wrap one portion in plastic before returning to the refrigerator. (Use the remaining portion within a day for another recipe or to double this one).
- Place the remaining rectangle on a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.
To create a picture frame effect as shown, cut around the perimeter of the sheet with a sharp knife about 1/2” from the outside edge, but do not cut all the way through.
- Pierce the pastry inside the cut you just made with a fork just like you would a pie crust. Add the Brie in a single layer on top of the interior portion. Top with pear slices, then sprinkle with thyme leaves, Belle Donne cinnamon, and Belle Donne nutmeg. Brush top with maple syrup to evenly coat.
- Create an egg wash by whisking one tablespoon of water with one egg yolk. Brush mixture over the outside exposed portion of the puff pastry before placing in oven.
- Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes, or until the pastry “picture frame” puffs up and turns golden brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly before slicing and serving.
What you will need
No data was found
Spring Recipe: Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad – A Burst of Freshness and Flavour
Spring is the perfect time to fire up the grill and indulge in delicious BBQ...
Spice Up Your Taco Night and Experiment in the Kitchen
Are you tired of making the same old recipes over and over again? Do you...
Spring Pea Soup with Mint and Lemon: A Refreshing and Nutritious Recipe
Spring is a season of renewal and rejuvenation, with fresh, bright flavours to match. After...
No comment yet, add your voice below!